Thursday, September 9, 2010

Starting at the End

I start this blog today, September 9th, just at the end of a long summer in the Mediterranean. I wish I would have started this blog before this rosy and thorny work trip, so I could have shared the adventure of the last few months. As a matter of fact, I wish I would have started this blog when Alexa was born almost 17 months ago. Or maybe even started the blog when I was pregnant just so I would have a journal of all the trials and tribulations of a yachtie lifestyle pregnancy… the joy and anticipation, the amazing feeling of her first flutter kicks, my spiritual journey, and the utter loneliness of it all. But none of that was recorded on digital paper, only in my blurred memories. Instead, today, September 9th is the day I began my blogging.

Today is special. Alexa’s big sisters, Caitlin and Michelle, are flying into Monaco from their study abroad program in London. They are visiting us until Sunday and we have a packed itinerary planned for them including mini Italian excursions, frolicking around the French Riviera, and of course touring the magnificent Monaco. Monaco, our home now for nearly 2 and a half months. George, Daddy, has been here for almost 4 months. The girls fly back to London September 12th and less than two days later, Alexa and I close out our Monaco journey and head back to Florida without Daddy. I’ve already started packing.

Although I am dying to get home, back to my life with all the conveniences I’m used to and people who I can efficiently communicate with, the thought of leaving without Alexa’s Daddy is eating away at my heart. I will miss him, of course, but I am more concerned about Alexa. I just keep telling myself “Alyssa, it is just two short weeks, he was gone for the entire month of June and Alexa was okay”. But this time it is different. Alexa has finally had the opportunity to spend quality time with her Daddy this summer and they have developed an even stronger bond than before. Somewhere in the back of my mind I dread another 15 hour flight alone with Alexa stuck in coach in an isle seat, but the forced separation between father and baby girl is heartbreaking. “Just two short weeks, Alyssa, just two short weeks till Daddy will be home with Alexa… Just two short weeks”.

On a happier note, Alexa will be ecstatic to see her big sisters when she wakes up tomorrow morning. She loves them dearly and will be overflowing with joy in their presence. She glows when she speaks to them/sees them on skype. She needs a sister, or brother, to be with on a regular basis.

Although it will be sad to see the girls leave to go back to school Sunday, I am utterly excited to see the excitement on Alexa’s face when we walk into our home in Florida the evening of September 14th. Amongst the laughs this European summer, there were some tears and I can tell Alexa misses home. She will be so happy to be back in her own purple polka dotted butterfly bonanza room with all her toys and books in English.

Overall the Mediterranean summer season was a success both for work and for the bonding between Alexa and her Daddy. Plus, we have some great photos to go along with our unforgettable memories.

3 comments:

  1. Yay- Congrats on the new blog! Awesome!

    I am trying to get back into blogging- I used to do it all the time. We shall see!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Alyssa! I am looking forward to reading about all your adventures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also looking forward to reading about your adventures! Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete