Friday, February 11, 2011

A Hula Girl at Heart or a Forest Flower

This last week has been seriously windy down here and the last few mornings have been on and off overcast.  The sun wants to only show her clear blue sky face during Alexa’s afternoon nap while I’m trapped inside.  All the windows and sliding doors in our St. Maarten pad are open and inviting right now as I sit typing away at our dining room table.  With the palm trees, a sportfish and sailboat sway in the breeze over a calm Friday Simpson Bay.  Can ya feel it?  I am such an island girl at heart… or in Jimmy’s words, “a hula girl at heart”.

As a child, I remember hiking through the forest following our white tipped beagle, Snoopy.  Sometimes we were “hunting” with guns, although the only thing I ever shot that was alive was a watermelon.  Sometimes we were hiking with our Indian Princess tribe.  Other times we were hiking around our camp ground or in the woods near our home or maybe outside our little log cabin we rented near a ski resort in the snow.  No matter where we were hiking, I was happy in its purest form.  We were “The Bobcat Explorers”, my little side gig hiking group I founded.  And in Indian Princesses, my father’s and my Indian names were “Running Bear” and “Running Rabbit”.  Yes, I picked the names.  Craig was “Cotton Mouth”.  (Yeah, I know what you’re thinking… Craig was young and loved snakes back then… we found another meaning for Craig’s Indian name in later years, the college years).

Yesterday morning brought me back to my childhood hiking times of pure happiness.  With a few random weekday open am hours on our hands, the three of us decided to hike through Lotterie Farms Mountain Forest Sanctuary then enjoy a relaxing organic lunch in the Tree Lounge.  A gay cruise boat group soaring above our heads on zip lines offered a bit of comic relief.  They were so funny.  Try to imagine a bunch of flamers flying through the air in the forest on a pretty tough obstacle course.  Imagine what they might be saying, or screaming.  We all laughed together.  I love gay people.  We also LOVE nature.  We LOVE hikes.  We LOVE eating lunch in a tree.  This is pure happiness and joy for me and I could tell Alexa feels the same energy.  So peaceful, so fun to explore… we wish we had more time.  Guess what!  We do! Or actually, we will soon.  *BIG SMILE*  So, am I a hula girl at heart or a forest flower - is Alexa one or the other?  How about both of us are a whole lot of both.  A nature sanctuary mountain forest on an island in the Caribbean is pretty much the perfect place for this family.  Stay tuned for pictures from the top… and from below.






No comments:

Post a Comment